Tooling is important in web programming, as it is in all programming. Having a good text editor is essential.
DO NOT USE
- Microsoft Notepad: Why waste your time? You’re on a computer, let it help you.
- Microsoft Word or any other word processor: Word will sabotage you. I will show no leniency to those that have chosen self-sabotage.
- Google Docs: No. If you want a suitable web application, see vscode.dev below.
- VSCodium: VS Code without MS branding/telemetry/licensing.
- Visual Studio Code: Easier to install if you don’t mind Microsoft spying on you.
- vscode.dev: If you cannot install an actual text editor, this is VSCode running in the browser.
- Sublime Text: The former favorite text editor.
VS Code Extensions
If you have chosen VSCodium or VSCode, these extensions will be helpful.
Best of Luck
You’re welcome to use any text editor you like, though I may not be able to help you with issues you run into with some editors.
If you do have issues that cause problems in class due to your choice of editor, it will be entirely up to you to find work-arounds (just like in the real world).